Legal services consultancy
We use the term legal services consultancy to cover all aspects of the relationship between HEIs and their external legal services providers, ie the private law firms and, on occasion, barristers that provide professional legal advice to individual clients. This activity includes:
- Selection, ie identifying the most suitable firm or lawyer for the particular task, or range of potential tasks, in hand.
- Engagement – regardless of the nature and scale of the work involved, the process of appointing an external law firm can involve a significant volume of documentation: engagement letter, scope of work and standard terms of business.
- Instruction – savings and other efficiencies can be achieved through the careful scoping and presentation of the work proposed – also, where the work has been the subject of an enquiry to the service, we are generally willing to make our guidance available, as a starting point, to the external lawyers to whom the work is awarded.
We can also fulfil an ongoing role in order to review the progress of the work and, if required, intermediate in the case of any service or other issues between the institution and its external lawyers.
This element of the service accounts for a small, but important, portion of our caseload, and has been included within the subscription fee since the inception of HE Shared Legal. In order to broaden the operation, our legal services consultancy is now available to HEIs that are not subscribers. In such cases – and in the event of any major assignments for subscriber institutions – the work will be charged on the basis of a daily rate, following the adjustment of a suitable specification.
We believe that our involvement in relation to external legal services can bring a number of benefits, including the following:
- Lower legal fee rates
- Alternative charging structures
- Reduction in external work scope
- Careful targeting of work
- Efficient selection and engagement process
Please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org, if you would like to discuss any of the foregoing, without commitment.