HE Shared Legal provides ad hoc legal guidance to subscriber institutions in relation to individual enquiries. In addition, we circulate generic guidance in the form of a regular newsletter highlighting legal developments of relevance to the sector. We also offer a legal services consultancy service, which is available to all HE institutions.
Frequently asked questions
What is HE Shared Legal?
What does HE Shared Legal do?
- Shared, “in-house” legal service – providing guidance and support with (ie generally answering) specific legal enquiries in the manner of an in-house lawyer
- Generic guidance – publication of regular newsletters and FAQs on a wide range of legal topics of relevance to HEIs
- Legal services consultancy – assistance and support with the selection, engagement, instruction and, if required, ongoing monitoring of external legal advisers
What is the significance of the ‘in-house’ aspect?
What areas of law are covered?
- Commercial Agreements (including procurement law)
- Banking and Financial Services
- Corporate and governance
- Tax, insurance and pensions
- Intellectual Property and IT law
Are there any other aspects to the work of HE Shared Legal?
- Preliminary transaction and case planning
- Trouble shooting
- The conduct of joint projects
- The development of standard procedures and documents
What are the limits to the HE Shared Legal service, ie what does HE Shared Legal not do?
- Provide professional legal advice, with the benefit of legal liability (as opposed to informal, legal ‘guidance’ and ‘support’)
- Represent institutions in relation to dealings with third parties
- Conduct cases or transactions, although preliminary case/transaction planning is provided
Where support of this nature is required, HE Shared Legal will be happy to assist with the selection and engagement, on competitive terms, of suitable specialist legal advisers.
Who are the typical users of the service?
When did the service start?
How is HE Shared Legal funded?
How much is the subscription?
How is the service staffed?
What legal form does the service take?
Finally, what are the main benefits of the service?
- Ready access to experienced legal resources at low cost
- Potential to achieve substantial savings on external legal fees
- Assistance with development of good practice and assurance
- Access to sector-wide intelligence and contacts on legal issues
- Part of the HEI ‘corporate armoury’
For further information, please contact HE Shared Legal on 0141 237 5880 or email@example.com.